No matter if you’re working with a 500 square foot condo or an expansive suburban house, living rooms are busy spaces that can quickly feel cramped and cluttered. Here are some ways to make yours bright and beautiful.
1. Opt for double duty furniture. Achieve streamlined style and efficiency with items that work hard for every inch of premium real estate they occupy. A sofa with hidden storage or a coffee table that moonlights as extra seating when guests come over can both free up floor space and improve traffic flow.
2. Create an impact. Just because you want a clean and organized room doesn’t mean you need to stick to basic and boring décor. Make a small space feel larger by going bold and bright with playful patterns, dramatic colours and cheerful florals.
3. Ensure plenty of light. One of the easiest ways to make a room feel spacious is to let natural sunlight open and brighten up the space. Illuminate your living room using Hunter Douglas Luminette privacy sheers with vertical shades that are perfect for larger windows and sliding patio doors.
4. Play with scale. Don’t be afraid of using larger pieces in close quarters, as a collection of small items squeezed into a room is visually overwhelming. A big, comfy armchair or an architectural wall-mounted lamp can ground and add character to the room while emphasizing simplicity.
3. Cut the cord. Electronics amp up our home entertainment possibilities, but their cables and plugs often make for a tangled mess. Cover up exposed wires with cord covers or tuck them behind a couch or table, and have a designated out-of-sight spot for your cell phone and laptop chargers. While you’re tidying up your gadgets, call your cable company to see if they can give you a smaller modem or cable box.